"Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." 3 Nephi 5:13

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Trinidad!

SLC Airport - On Our Way!
Aaron’s district had to leave for the airport early Tuesday morning at 3:00 am.  He called us at about 6 am and we talked briefly before they boarded for their 4-hour flight to Houston.  It was so good to hear his voice!  He had a long lay-over in Houston and was able to talk to brothers and sisters, then a 5-hour flight to Trinidad, landing in Port of Spain at 10 pm their time.  It was fun to watch the flight throughout the day on flightaware.com.  We knew the moment he landed!



   "Hey Everyone!  I'M IN TRINIDAD!  The flight was really long.  When we landed in Port of Spain, it was like hitting a brick wall of moisture and heat.  The pilot told us it was 85° and 90% humidity...I instantly started to sweat, it was so freaking hot!  President Mehr picked us up at the airport with his 2 a.p.'s. (assistants to the president). It was about a 30 min drive to where we're staying because the mission home didn't have enough room for 20 missionaries. Five other missionaries came from the DR  MTC. We got up early Thursday and the owners made us eggs and pancakes.  It was really good.  We then went to the mission office for orientation where we received our second call...I am assigned to the area of Chaguanas (ch pronounced sh), Trinidad.  I hung out at the mission home for about 4 hours waiting for my comp, Elder Gibson, who was flying in from St. Martin.



   “When it rains here, it POURS!  It rained all day Saturday.  My comp and I are blanking the area so we have no idea where to go and who to teach.  Trini’s talk really really really fast!!!  I can’t understand a word.  I’m starting to catch a few things but I usually ask E. Gibson what they said (Best Two Years style ha ha). Last night we were teaching a guy named Josiah at a member’s house.  Sister Cummings made some food called dashin leaves, rice, fish, and pepper mango.  The rice and dashin and fish were really good, but pepper mango…uh no :)               
   Money here is TT (Trinidad and Tobago dollars) so if I buy something for 30TT then it’s 5 dollars USA.  It’s 10TT per hour here at the internet café. 
   I’m doing good.  I love you guys and hope to hear from everyone on Mother’s Day! 
 I love you,  
        Elder Hill